Students whose abstracts have been approved for poster presentation at the Conference are now invited to apply for the SWST poster competition. Deadline to express your interest is March 15 – please click the link at the bottom of this page to apply. You will be notified of acceptance to the competition by April 17.
Date of competition
Tuesday, June 13, 2017
5:30 to 7:30 pm
The purpose of the Student Poster Competition is to:
- Encourage student membership and participation in SWST
- Encourage student attendance at the SWST International Convention
- Recognize excellence in student research, and
- Improve the visibility of student research efforts
The competition will be held on Tuesday, June 13, 2017, from 5:30 to 7:30 pm during the Technical Poster Session of the International Convention. All undergraduate and graduate students who are members of SWST may participate. There should be no coauthors on the poster session; however, faculty sponsors and funding agencies should be identified in both the abstract and poster display
Before the competition, students will be presented a Certificate of Participation to display on their posters.
- First Place: $500 and a first place plaque
- Second Place: $250 and a second place plaque
- Third Place: $125 and a third place plaque
Winners will be announced at the SWST Business Meeting on Thursday, June 15. All participants will be announced in one of the SWST publications.
Posters can be set up anytime beginning Monday, June 12, 2017 at 8:00, but before the competition on June 13. Posters must be removed by end of the Convention on June 16, 2017.
The abstracts and poster presentations will be evaluated by a committee of 4 judges (the Chair of the Education Center and three others) on a 100-point scale:
- Soundness of research hypothesis (10 points)\
- Scientific writing ability (10 points)
- Organization (10 points)
- Scientific merit (newness, breadth of interest, potential impact of the research) (15 points)
- Experimental design and thoroughness of investigation (15 points)
- Validity of conclusions (15 points)
- Organization and visual quality of presentation (15 points)
- Response to questions of judges (10 points)
The chair of the Education Committee will have overall responsibility for the competition including selecting judges. Judges will not assess student posters on whose committees they serve. The chair of the judging committee does not vote except when one of the other judges is exempted.
Posters will be presented in English.
Deadline: March 15, 2017